I need help with a Art & Design question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
1. Read the article Nigerian Afro-Beat artist Fela Kuti and respond to one of the prompts below.
Read the following excerpt from the article “Fela Kuti – The Art of an Afrobeat Rebel” by Randal Grass.(in Attachment files)
Grass, R. F. (1986). Fela Anikulapo-Kuti: The Art of an Afrobeat Rebel. The Drama Review: TDR, 30(1), 131.
2.watch this video clip which features Fela Kuti talking about his experiences growing up in a colonial country. Fela grew up in Nigeria, a country that was formally annexed by Great Britain in 1861 and did not become an independent republic until 1963. It then fell under military rule in a bloody coup d’état in 1966. The decision-makers in Nigeria had a profound effect on the lives of Nigerians, much of which is reflected in Fela’s music.
Closed captioning is available.
“Fela Interview.” YouTube. Uploaded 21 September 2012 by kokoete53. Accessed 14 July 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WppSRoMxc
Respond to at least one of the following prompts. Indicate which prompt(s) you are responding to.
Your post should be a minimum of 200 words long. Clearly reference the article in your response.
1. What were the issues or problems with the Nigerian government described in this article? What was the root cause of these issues or problems? Did Fela take appropriate action to help solve this issue? Why or why not?
2. The article provides several examples of how Fela was a man of seemingly contradictory beliefs. Briefly describe one of these contradictions. Is it possible to be an authentic African musician despite these contradictions? Explain.
3. How are the effects of colonialism reflected in Fela’s music? Provide a YouTube link to one of Fela’s songs and use it as an example to support your response.
4. If Fela Kuti was alive today, what political issues do you think he would be interested in fighting through his music, and why? Use examples of the issues he fought for to support your answer.