I’m working on a Philosophy exercise and need support.
In order to understand the literacy needs of students, teachers need to observe and assess their students regularly. Understanding the strengths and needs that currently exist among their students is essential. Effectively creating a literacy-based learning environment in the classroom, begins by determining these needs.
Allocate at least 3 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Observe the students in your field experience classroom to determine an appropriate literacy plan for these students. Collaborate with your mentor teacher to create a cross-curricular lesson in Topic 5 and teach in Topic 6. While observing students, identify the following:
- Learning strengths and limitations
- Monitor reactions and behaviors
- Literacy needs
- The literacy strategies used and any modifications needed
At the end of your field experience, discuss your observations with your mentor teacher . Ask your mentor teacher for any relevant information you may have missed or that you need to be aware of to plan for your cross-curricular lesson in Topic 5.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
Based on your observations, write a 250-500 word reflection of what you observed as well as the discussion with your mentor teacher. Briefly describe the modifications you would need to make to your Literacy Action Plan from Topic 3 for the group of students you observed. Explain how you will apply this to your future professional practices related to implementing and modifying literacy plans.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected
Reviewing a Literacy Plan
A schoolwide literacy plan needs to include specific support so that content-area teachers implement literacy instruction that is research-based, effective, strategic, and engaging. They must select texts that support the integration of language, reading, and writing while also developing literacy skills such as vocabulary knowledge and comprehension. Teachers of secondary readers know various ways to adapt strategies for individual students.
Using the “Grand High School Literacy Plan for Grades 9-12,” write a 500-750 word overview of how you will implement this literacy plan for the students described in the “Class Profile.”
Address the following:
- Describe how you would meet the goals for these students based on the literacy plan.
- Explain how you would select and adapt literacy strategies for integrating language, reading, and writing within content area curricula for the students in the “Class Profile” who are reading below grade level based on this literacy plan.
- Explain how you would incorporate interventions for the students with disabilities, English language learners, as well as students with dyslexia.
- Describe the leadership role of a reading/literacy specialist in this particular school and classroom with the students, as well as the teacher.
- Discuss how you will provide the necessary communication to all stakeholders based on the literacy plan.
- Explain how you would monitor and modify the literacy plan for these students.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.