CASE 1 – “Anna, a 72-year-old woman, has been living in the same home all of her adult life. She has been living alone since her husband of 30 years passed away 5 years prior. Recently, she has displayed behaviors that require 24-hour skilled care (i.e. disrobing, forgetting to take medications, refusing to bathe, inability to dress appropriately, and being verbally and physically aggressive toward her children). Anna’s son has decided to pursue long-term care services for his mother, but Anna is resistant to the idea.”
CASE 2 – “Valerie, a 50-year-old woman with Down syndrome, has expressed the desire to move out of the institution in which she has been living for the past 45 years and into the community. She also has expressed the desire to:
• Work in the community
• Participate in community activities
• Get married and have children
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper that includes answers to the following questions:
• What role(s) will human services professionals play in assisting each client to effectively work through their challenging situation?
• Discuss the specific needs present in each case and then provide at least two specific resources within the community to assist each client.
• Once you have identified available resources, discuss how they can aid in creating positive changes.
• Identify the barriers that could surface and discuss how you would overcome the barriers identified.
• What is the anticipated outcome of the human services professional’s intervention?
• How would the human services professional best support the goals and objectives of Anna and Valerie?
Conduct an Internet search using the terms social work, high caseload, and turnover. Most state agencies have a direct care workforce turnover report for human services (consider your own state).
Additional Resources: Assigned readings, Electronic Reserve Readings, the Internet, and any additional resources.
Prepare a 10- to 12-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation explaining turnover in human services organizations. Include the following:
• Discuss why turnover is so prominent in the field of human services. Describe the correlation between high turnover and burnout.
• Identify causes of burnout and high turnover rates. How is it addressed in human services organizations?
• Explain how unmanageable stress affects the delivery of clients’ services. Analyze methods that encourage self-care for managing this stress.
• Discuss the importance of self-care resources and provide a few recommendation strategies amongst human services professionals.
• Describe how these strategies can aid in the management of stressful situations in the field.
Format citations in your presentation consistent with APA guidelines.
Ensure you edit for spelling, grammar, and mechanics.
Incorporate both text and images into the presentation to make it engaging. (Hint: use the speaker’s notes box to include additional text that you can’t fit on the slides)