I’m studying for my Health & Medical class and need an explanation.
QUESTION 1- A person’s health may be greatly impacted by his or her access to timely, appropriate care. Yet, in the United States, there are marked differences in the quality of services that are available and in each individual’s use of those services. The cost of health care, for instance, can influence a person’s decision to visit the doctor or fill a prescription. What other factors impact health care-related decisions? In this Discussion, you will examine two case studies that illustrate dilemmas related to cost, quality, and access to health care, and consider the potential influence these dilemmas can have on a person’s health, financial standing, and quality of life.
Read the Module 2 Discussion 1 Case Studies, found in this module’s Learning Resources. Review the information presented in the Learning Resources, including Chapter 12 in the Shi and Singh (2019) textbook and the websites and articles. Analyze the circumstances presented in the two case studies, and consider the following questions:
- Which barriers in the U.S. health care delivery system related to cost, quality, and/or access are evident in each scenario?
- How does the use of health insurance influence concerns or decisions related to cost, quality, and/or access to health care for each person?
- What are the possible health care outcomes in each scenario?
Post by Day 3 of Week 2 a substantive and cohesive response to the following:
- Analyze at least two barriers in the U.S. health care delivery system related to cost, quality, and/or access that are evident in each person’s scenario.
- Analyze how health insurance may influence concerns or decisions related to cost, quality, and/or access to health care for each person.
- Explain potential health care outcomes for each scenario.
Reminder: Use and identify sources to support your posting and responses
QUESTION2- In Discussion 1, you analyzed case studies that demonstrate the different experiences patients may have related to cost, quality, and access to health services. As a health care administrator, you must be prepared to address these issues at the team, department, and/or organizational level. How will you support your organization to contain costs, while providing appropriate access to care that meets quality standards?
Consider the following example:
According to a 2013 article in
Kaiser Health News, Gallup Indian Medical Center in New Mexico, a busy federal government hospital on the border of the Navajo Reservation that sees a complex population of patients, learned it would be paid 1.14 percent less for each Medicare patient as a penalty for poor quality scores. Those who gained financially from the Medicare reimbursement policy change included large teaching hospitals and specialty hospitals. For instance, a physician-owned hospital focused on cardiovascular care in Arkansas received one of the largest bonuses (Rau, 2014).
This example highlights some of the complexities surrounding cost, quality, and access that health care administrators frequently encounter. Review the health care challenges related to cost, quality, and access discussed in the Learning Resources. In addition, think about similar examples you have noticed in current news or in the literature.
Identify a specific example related to health care, economics, policy, or other pertinent topics that is presented in the Learning Resources or another credible source. If you are an international student, you may select an example from your own country. You will use this example as the focus of your initial posting for this Discussion.
To prepare for this Discussion, analyze your selected example and consider how it illustrates concerns related to cost, quality, and/or access. Also consider potential implications of this issue for the management and leadership of health services organizations.
Post by Day 3 of Week 3 a substantive and cohesive response to the following:
- Provide a description of the example you selected.
- Analyze how this example illustrates concerns related to cost, quality, and/or access to health care.
- Evaluate one or more potential implications of the issue(s) described in your example for the management and leadership of health services organizations.
Reminder: Use clearly identified sources to support your posting and responses