I’m studying for my Management class and don’t understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
Paper #1 Requirements: A “career path” in a given occupation can be defined as a series of increasingly responsible and demanding “jobs,” where at least some of those jobs are prerequisites for one another, like prerequisites for college courses. When we think of professional careers, we often think of progressions like “Jr. Accountant, Accountant, Financial Analyst, Accounting Manager, Division Comptroller, CFO.”
Smart companies arrange step-wise progressions for non-exempt (hourly paid, typically non-degreed) employees in order to retain them over time. For example, an employee of a residential moving company might go through the following sequence of positions: Loader B, Loader A, Lead Loader, Truck Driver, and Project Coordinator, where each job requires the expertise gained in its predecessor. You should go into LIRN and search for at least a couple of articles that treat these kinds of “job families” for non-exempt (or “hourly”) employees.
When companies create job families, they are said to have “internal labor markets,” which means that, aside from an entry-level position, which can be filled “off the street,” recruitment for the higher-level jobs is almost always done within the company.
Once you have done your research and reflected upon this matter, please address the following questions:
- What are the advantages to a company of having such job families?
- Do you believe that, over the long term, job families are good for profits, or not? Why?
- What are the advantages to the employees? Are there disadvantages to the employees that you can think of?
- Overall, why would you recommend (or not recommend) the use of job families?
Use the required reading, the lectures, and the sources cited in the lectures to justify your position, along with additional research you have done.
Addresses CLOs 7 and 8
Paper Writing Requirements
Most classes have a 2 paper requirement per course. Please be sure to address the following requirements when completing your papers:
- The cover page and reference page/s are not included in the page requirement or word count. These should be in addition to page requirements.
- Papers need to be formatted in proper APA 6th Edition style.
- Each paper requires a minimum of at least three outside peer-reviewed sources for your references.
- Acceptable/credible sources include: Academic journals and books, industry journals, and the class textbook. You could use credible business website sources in addition to the peer-reviewed required sources, but avoid Wikipedia and Google. These are academic papers that need to include scholarly research.
- Using your textbook is required as well to demonstrate that you have read the required material.