I need an explanation for this Social Media Marketing question to help me study.
This unit’s chapter discussed concerns about quality programming in the media. Different models for assessing culture were discussed: 1) Culture as a Skyscraper Model and 2) Culture as a Map. See the pictures below for the two models. This discussion is designed to get you thinking about the different models and their strengths and weakness.
- Before you participate in this discussion, review Class Discussions – Your Guide to Success in the Getting Started Module.
- By Thursday, please respond to the following questions in a minimum of 350 words (you may write much more!) Please number your responses. You do not have to re-write the questions. In addition to your opinion and personal experiences, include concepts that were discussed in the textbook in your responses.
- In addition to the textbook, you may be interested in this article “Trashy Reality TV Is Back. How Lindsay Lohan, Temptation Island and Netflix Made It Better Than Ever”. https://time.com/5534364/reality-tv-is-back/ (Links to an external site.)
- Come up with several television shows that serve as examples of “quality” programs and “trashy” programs. What characteristics determine their quality (plots, subject matter, themes, characters…)?
- On the whole, are Americans seen as having good taste? Why or why not? Is there a country/culture that always seems tasteful in its cultural products?
- Which model (Culture as Skyscraper or Culture as Map) makes more sense to you and why?