Anemia Case Study
A routine admission CBC was analyzed on a 16 year old white male using an automated cell counter. The results were:
RBC: 4.85 x 106/ul
Hb: 20.0 g/dl
MCHC: 47.1 g/dl
- Do the hemoglobin and hematocrit values match in this case? Explain your answer.
- Are all of the red cell indices above the usual reference range?
- Do these abnormal results represent a laboratory error or a blood disorder? Why?
- What can be done to verify accurate results for this patient?
- What is the diagnosis for this patient?