I’m studying and need help with a Social Science question to help me learn.
This week, you examined the phenomenon of suicide bombers. These terrorists present an unusual challenge for counterterrorism and law enforcement officials. Examine the following aspects of these cases:
- What would make people surrender their lives for a cause?
- Do suicide bombers make a rational choice to sacrifice their lives, or does “brainwashing” have a role in making people agree to execute suicide attacks?
- In what ways does suicide terrorism present a unique threat to freedom and peace?
- What do terrorists have to gain from using such tactics of mass destruction and loss of human lives? How does killing innocent civilians help any cause?
- Explain the concepts of jihad, fatwa, and shahadat. Does the religious aspect of these concepts help to legitimize behaviors that would otherwise be prohibited?