This task focuses on the evaluation of health and wellness programs in early childhood settings within Australia (RESPONSE ABILITY – https://www.responseability.org/) and internationally (THE INCREDIBLE YEARS – https://incredibleyears.com/). Critically appraise and compare and contrast these two existing health and wellbeing programs.
Review and analyse each program’s rationale, underlying assumptions/philosophy (beliefs, values, mission) and approaches to health and wellness pedagogy. For this assignment students will be expected if and where appropriate to refer to health, wellbeing and/or physical education components of the National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education & Care (NQF), Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) 2016, Early Years Learning Framework for Australia (EYLF), other sources that support best practice (such as international curriculum and or regulatory frameworks) and current research in your comparison of the two programs.
THE REPORT SHOULD BE BROKEN DOWN LIKE BELOW:
• What will this report discuss?
• Introduce the RESPONSE ABILITY (Australian) and THE INCREDIBLE YEARS (International Program).
• Why is this program important?
• What are the reasons and justifications for each program?
• What are these programs responding to?
THE SOCIO-CULTURAL, HEALTH & EDUCATIONAL POLICY CONTEXT OF EACH PROGRAM
• What is happening socio-culturally to inform the basis of each program? May want to draw upon socio-cultural theories here: Eg. Wilber’s AQAL, Bronfenbrenner’s Ecological Systems theory
• PEDAGOGICAL APPROACHES
• How is each program practically enacted?
• Ensure to rigorously draw on theoretical links to integrate practice and theory
• Examples: Integral Education, Rogoff’s socio-cultural theory, Dewey’s progressive education, Vygotsky’s ZPD, Freire’s theoies of conscientisation
INTEGRATION OF EARLY CHILDHOOD STANDARDS & FRAMEWORKS
• National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education and Care (EYLF, National Law,
• Regulations, Standards)
• EYLDF, ‘My Time, Our Place’ OSHC Framework
• Australian Curriculum (ACARA)
• International educational policy, curriculum, and/or regulatory frameworks.
NOTE: Threaded throughout the discussion, there needs to be:
• A critical analysis approach, including:
? An evaluation of the philosophy (underpinning ethics, values, beliefs and/or theories) of each program;
? An evaluation of strengths & limitations of each program;
? An evaluation of the evidence base (if any) for each program.